Essential oils are believed to have a beneficial holistic effect on our physical and psychological health. Modern knowledge is aiming to revive its use by incorporating it into our daily routine and rituals in order to associate it with certain feelings of relaxation or invigoration. That sounds a little fancy and imaginative, right? But we’re surrounded by essential oils and we might not even notice it.
Essential oils are just a highly concentrated version of the natural oils in plants. It is commonly found in household products such as mentholated camphor balms used for relieving colds, or your favorite linen spray. Some essential oils can even reduce infection or the possibility of inflammation when applied to the human skin.
How do essential oils work?
Scent memory is very powerful. Even after so many years, once you smell something that reminds you of your childhood memories, you’re instantly transported to a different time and place. It doesn’t even have to be a strong scent, even that faint scent of apple candy brings you back to those times of carefree living and playing with your childhood friends. When you constantly use the same essential oils to your environment, you create a safe space and your brain associates it with certain events and actions.
If you’re feeling a little stressed, anxious or in dire need of rejuvenation, there are essential oils that can help you reduce those negative feelings and give you a better and healthier state of body and mind.
What do I need?
Here are some of the things that you need to have:
- Essential oil of your choice
- An ultrasonic diffuser
- Carrier oil
- Glass spray bottles and glass roller bottles
How do I begin?
As soon as you get home from work, start your routine by changing into comfortable clothes and spraying it with a grounding spray. What are grounding sprays? Grounding is a term in aromatherapy that means to connect with the present, being in the now physically, spiritually, emotionally and mentally. For a better understanding, think of a tree that has roots that go deep within the earth to connect with networks of nutrients and water to help it grow stronger and taller. Choose an essential oil that will help you transition from work environment to your home environment. In your glass spray bottle, combine 20 drops of essential oil, fill it to the top with water and shake well before use.
Here are the top 10 best essential oils for grounding:
- Ylang Ylang
- Angelica Root
You might also want to consider creating your very own perfume using essential oils. You can roll it onto your inner wrists, behind the ears and the back of your neck throughout the day when you’re feeling stressed. This can help you sleep better at night because the more relaxed you are during the day, the better you’ll sleep at night. Simply combine 10 drops of each of your favorite scents then fill it to the top with a carrier oil.
Here’s a sample blend of perfumes:
- Sweet orange + lemon + patchouli + bergamot
- Lime peel + rosemary + palmarosa + cloves
- Jasmine + rosemary + vetiver + sandalwood
- Vanilla + neroli
- Petitgrain + sage
There’s something about massages that make you feel twice as relaxed. What you can do is to use your favorite essential oil and roll a couple of swipes around the edges of your face. Then, smooth it from your cheekbone to the chin with the heel of your hand. Move back and forth along the line of your jaw and massage your temples gently. You can do this in other parts of your body as well. If you’re feeling a little achy near your feet, just swipe it on your hand and massage it to the area. Or better yet, have your significant other do the massaging for you.
This is one of the most popular and effective ways to enjoy aromatherapy. All you have to do is:
- Choose a location – pick an open area in a room or office that has a solid surface. You will also need a nearby outlet to plug it in. Diffusers have water and it is good to have a placemat or a towel underneath especially if you’re going to place it on a wooden surface. Make sure that you do not put it in direct sunlight or near a fan.
- Add water – Fill your diffuser to the maximum fill line of the water reservoir with clean tap water. Refer to your diffuser manual for other instructions.
- Add oils – Add 3 to 10 drops of essential oils to the water. Usually, 6 drops are enough but if the room is bigger and you want a stronger scent, you may add more.
Other benefits of essential oils
- Balances hormones – Essential oils like clary sage, geranium and thyme can help balance out estrogen and progesterone levels in your body. It can improve conditions like infertility, PCOS and PMS and menopause symptoms.
- Aids in digestion – Some oils can relieve upset stomach, indigestion, diarrhea and stomach spasms like ginger oil, peppermint, lemongrass, marjoram, black pepper and juniper berry.
- Boosts your immune system – Oregano, myrrh, ginger, eucalyptus, lemon, peppermint, cinnamon, and frankincense have anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, antiseptic and anti-fungal properties that help boost your immune system.
- Boost energy levels – Essential oils like peppermint, eucalyptus, grapefruit, lemon, rosemary, and lemongrass can improve your energy levels because they have stimulating effects that can increase the supply of oxygen to your brain. It can result in the feeling of being refreshed, focused and energized.
Whether it’s aromatherapy that you’re after or health benefits, essential oils can help you significantly. However, it is highly suggested that you seek proper medical attention for serious ailments, especially for emergency purposes.
How about you? What’s your favorite essential oil?